Sausage and Herb Stuffing
November 7, 2017
- 16 cups 1-inch bread cubes, white or sourdough (1 1/2 pound loaf)
- 8 tbsps (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and large-diced
- 2 tbsps chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsps freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3/4 lb sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove the bread cubes to a very large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, apples, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.
- In the same sauté pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.
- Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.